Ottobre 5/2014

Ottobre – 5-2014 #5 New Boheme Jersey Tunic

This is technically version 2 of this shirt, but I’m only documenting this one. 🙂 I messed up on the neckline of the first shirt so this is my remake.

Things I Learned

  • Pockets – I needed extra help understanding the understitching of the pockets and thankfully found a tutorial for the kids’ Flycatcher tunic that describes the same process: How to sew understitching for pockets.
  • Neckline – I didn’t fully understand the instructions for the neckline facing.  I believe that I was supposed to turn the entire facing piece to the inside of the shirt, but I was worried it was going to make the neckline too wide for my tastes.  I’m so used to doing binding that I just stuck with that.  Unfortunately, either because of my fabric type or user error, the front of the neckline is a couple of small waves.  😦  This won’t prevent me from wearing it at home, but may prevent me wearing it out and about.  We’ll see.
  • Sleeves – I really like the batwing sleeves!  I was skeptical at first, but once I tried it on I can feel how comfy they make it.
Ottobre 3/2015

Ottobre – 3-2015 #15 Lionella Jersey Dress

Things I Learned

  • Sleeves – It took me awhile to figure out what the instructions for the sleeves were describing.  From what I read I thought it was going to have some exposed seams which I didn’t think was correct!  Finally I pinned the pieces to replicate where I thought they would be sewn and understood what I needed to do.  Sometimes it’s just easier to play around with it than try to imagine the next steps!  Unfortunately the length of elastic tape I used was too small for my daughter’s arms — the sleeves were a little too tight.  Next time I will measure her arms first to confirm the elastic length!
  • Back strap – I was worried about how the strap across the back would turn out and I was actually pleased with the result.  I was afraid it wouldn’t be tight enough and would hang loose, but it was nice and tight.
  • Ruffles – Attaching the bottom ruffle to the bottom of the skirt panel went fine, but I had a big battle with the upper ruffle.  I’m still not sure if it was due to a mistake on my part, the type of fabric I used, or what…  For some reason my skirt panel was about 7 inches bigger than the top ruffle and I’m pretty sure stretching the ruffle wasn’t going to make up enough of that difference.  I ended up having to gather the top of the skirt panel.  It worked out ok, can’t be seen from the outside of the dress, but I know it isn’t perfect.  😦
  • Bodice size and length of dress – The bodice ended up being too small for my daughter even though the 110 size was actually supposed to be a little big for her.  You can see in the pictures the bodice is pulling in strange areas.  The length of the dress is too short too.

I ended up giving this dress to a friend’s daughter who normally wears a size 3T…  The bodice is a little roomy for her, but actually looked ok loose-fitting like that.  The length was perfect for her.  I’m still not sure if I made a mistake somewhere or this size was not right for my daughter.  If I try this dress again I’d probably go up a size or do some custom pattern changes to the bodice.  Perhaps make it longer and wider.

I really wanted this dress to work!  It’s such a cute design.

Ottobre 2/2015

Ottobre – 2-2015 #17 Faded Stripes Jersey Top

Things I Learned

  • Easy! – Nice, easy sew!
  • Stripes – Carefully line up stripes when cutting out front and back shirt pieces!  After I was finished with the shirt I realized it would have been nice to have the stripes lined up perfectly from front to back.
  • Binding – Use a solid color for binding!  For this shirt I used the same fabric as the shirt and it coincidentally looks like a solid color but it just happened to work out that the binding is the width of one stripe…  After it ended up like this for the neck and I had to make it look the same for the sleeves.
  • Fabric type – After the initial wash of this shirt I was worried I wouldn’t be able to wear it.  The fabric was super static-y and I couldn’t stand it!  Luckily I haven’t had a problem since.  I believe the fabric is more of a polyester blend, where I’m used to 100% cotton.  It also has started to pill after 2 months of washes.  😦

Even with the imperfect stripes I have been wearing this in public and have gotten a lot of use out of it.  🙂  I love the style!  Something a little more interesting than a plain t-shirt, but comfortable too.  I will definitely be making this again.